Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Working out

Late last year before Christmas, Bill signed us both up for the gym across the street (Fitness 19 is literally 500 ft from our house). We also got a personal trainer (Mike) who is helping us get back in shape.

As Audrey sleeps through the night and the kids are easier to manage (individually and collectively), we have more time to work on ourselves. My parents have been nice enough to take the kids an hour earlier before we go to work, or coming by on Saturday for a couple of hours as we work out.

I have not been to a gym for at least 3 years and I've never worked with a personal trainer. Bill has been more active than I (riding his bike, running), but it has still been difficult to keep that up since Audrey arrived. We both want to lose some weight and get back in shape.

I'm happy to report that so far we have motivated to go twice to three times a week, and we work with Mike at least once a week together for an hour. The sessions go like this: Mike shows us an exercise and explains what it does for us; then I am next, I try to follow what he showed us and normally do it incorrectly. I have two people (Mike and Bill) telling me to keep my back straight, or lower my butt, or squeeze my shoulderblades together; then it is Bill's turn and Mike usually says "see how Bill keeps his back straight, blah blah blah..." Yes, Bill has muscle memory from having done those exercises before. I, on the other hand, have been working muscles I didn't even know I had.

Bill is even signing up for the 3-month challenge the gym is running. First prize gets $500, but more importantly, it will keep us motivated and going back. Well, we will see, I might blog about our progress.

No comments: