Bill has done running races, bike races and triathlons before. I had only done a 5K run and walking 10K fund raisers. But since I had kept up my running a few times a week since April, I thought that having a good would keep me on track.
Over 50 thousand people run BolderBoulder and it is considered one of the best races in the US. It is a very organized event (good job to Wade and team!) and great fun that includes the whole community. There is around a hundred waves with different starting times. The first 30 waves are qualified, with qualifying times from other races. The non-qualified waves are also ranked based on your best guess of your run, job and walk times. To be conservative, I signed us up for the first run/walk wave 90-120 minute group.
12 weeks ago we each got an email from BolderBoulder reminding us to train. We followed probably 50% of the training regime. Once the weather got better, we tried to run outdoors as much as we could. Our trainer Kyle took his class to a trail run that ended up being a 3.7 miles very hilly run a week before BolderBoulder, that turned out to be a great prep run for us.
With my parents watching the kids, we rode the bus to BB and got there an hour before our starting time of 8:53 am. The run goes through neighborhoods where everyone is cheering you on, hosing you down with water (it was a pretty hot day), and passing out snacks. I refused the Doritos, bacon, and cupcakes, but the ice Popsicles were a lifesaver! Once through Pearl street, you head towards CU Bolder's Folsom stadium, where cheering crowds are waiting.
I told Bill to run ahead and not wait for me, but we ended up running 90-95% of the race, and running together about half of the race. We finished the race with the same time and together, after Bill cramped up in mile 5. Our time: 1:15:39 - faster than our group (should sign up for an faster one next time), slower than our normal pace, but all in all had a great event and all the runs leading up to it!
We will definitely do it again and aim for a sub 70 minute time.


No comments:
Post a Comment