Saturday, November 8, 2014

Long week

The morning after my parents came back from China, my dad had a high fever and I took him to the hospital.  "High fever" + "he just got back from overseas" = very fast ER service.  Even after explaining that he got back from China, didn't have contact with Ebola, did not travel outside of Shanghai, we were taken back where 3 nurses and a doctor were waiting. 

An EKG, urine test, X-Ray, blood work and CT later, they told us they would admit him to the hospital because he oxygen was low and he still had traces of pneumonia from China.  They kept him one night and luckily the attending doctor next day was Chinese, born in Kumming (same city as my dad) and did his residency in Shanghai.  My dad is feeling much better, but bottom line, long trips are not as easy to manage, and requires planning and lots of rest on both sides.

Aside from an incredibly busy week at work with multiple visits and dinners with partners, an analyst on my team told  me he has another offer.  He didn't resign, but I spent 3 days working with HR and other teams to figure out a counter offer for him and a plan to transition his work. He is the single point of failure in many of our deliveries, which I have been trying to get attention to, and this will definitely expedite the plan to have multiple people trained.

I had a ladies night event planned to celebrate one our coworker's 30th bday (that sounds so young!). We went to the Grizzly Rose with a group of 10, and leaned to line dance (I was terrible) and rode the mechanical bull.

On Wednesday morning (1:30-2 am) we heard sirens, which drives Sasha to get excited.  Bill opens the blinds and see there is a house in our subdivision I fire!  Big flames above the roof line!  We went back to sleep because it was not close to us, but he found the house and took pictures the next day.  They said it was arson, as they found an accelerant, and the house was empty listed for sale.  I immediately thought of mortgage fraud, but Bill said they had already accepted an offer on the house.  We will see what the investigation reveals.

On Thursday night, we went to the Avalanche vs. Maple Leafs hockey game.  Mason and his team got to skate in the 2nd intermission of the game.  It was super fun for all of us!

I am looking forward for a calmer week ahead.  Our usual routine never sounded so good.






No comments: