Finally! After months of commercials, multiple calls per day, multiple voicemails left if you don't answer, junkmail (80% of everything we got), door knocks in our swing state of Colorado and more political commentary that anyone would care to see on Facebook, it is finally over! (for at least 4 more years). As one FB friend said, it is good to see the injury lawyer commercials back on.
Obama is re-elected. Bill and I aren't celebrating because to tell you the truth, we are not thrilled with Obama, but we were more scared of Mitt Romney. If we had our way, we would have elected Ron Paul. And it is not a black and white choice (no pun intended). It really should be about the issues, not about the red or blue "team". Neither candidate fits all our views, but we are left with a choice of buying the size 10 or size 0 shirt at the discount rack for our size 6 bodies. Poor analogy, but you get the point. I wish we could have a true independent candidate with potential of winning. I wish we could put a maximum term in Congress of 2 terms with no political consulting/lobbying careers to follow.
I am proud of staying out of any political commentary on FB for the past 3+ months. And somehow, I didn't defriend anyone, although at moments that was tempting. Do I get a prize? Bill did comment enough for both os us. Someone could make a lot of money if they came out with a political commentary filter. I would pay for that.
Still, I am very proud to have voted (my 3rd election since becoming a citizen). Although the ads were almost unbearable, there is a cool side to being in a swing state. You can look down our street and see how people were divided. At one point once CNN called the elections and the state of Ohio for Obama, and Mitt was still unwilling the conceed, they ran a scenario that even if Mitt had won Ohio he would have lost because Obama won Colorado. Both campaigned heavily here, which is good for the local economy.
I also enjoyed the comedic content that came out of these elections: binders full of women, 47%, legitimate rape, bayonets and horses, big bird, etc... - Thank you Jon Stewart, Colbert, SNL and Chris Rock.
What was surprising last night/this morning is that legalization of marijuana in Colorado passed! Unlike Clinton, I have tried marijuana in college and I DID inhale, can't deny it. It was part of the Berkeley experience. But I still voted against legalizing it. I am surprised that it passed by a larger margin than even the presidential race. I guess the bill motivated all the closet and open potheads to go out and vote. As another FB friend noted "With Colorado legalizing marijuana, Peyton Manning's decision to buy 21 Papa Johns franchises is more brilliant than I gave him credit for." Puff puff the magic dragon...

No comments:
Post a Comment