I used to think that Mason only heard about a quarter of what is said to him, not because he is not able to understand it all, but because is a distracted 3-year old. But he does hear everything you have to say, he just chooses to ignore and not respond to about 3/4 of what he hears. Like on Saturday, Bill and I decided to take the kids to go shopping for some new pajamas and underwear. Especially for Mason, since he is outgrowing his size 3T clothes very quickly and needs some comfortable pjs for post-surgery this week. So I said to him, in the normal voice and tone I used all morning to ask him to eat more breakfast and put his toys away (which he ignored), "let's go shopping for some Spiderman pajamas...", he turns right to me and says "Spiderman pajamas? yay!". See? He hears it all!
I don't think I ever spent so much money at JC Penney. Isn't JCP supposed to be cheap? We came home with 2 sets of Spiderman pjs, underwear, and a shirt+spiderman car toy, and other clothes for both kids. The shirt + toy is a new trap! I have never seen that before. A new marketing ploy for bored kids shopping for clothes with their parents, and by the time the parent realizes the kid has found an ugly overpriced shirt that is not even in their size because of the large car or robot toy attached to the hanger, it is too late! You don't want a scene or melt down on your hands trying to pry the hanger out of their hands. So we compromise, and bought the least ugly shirt + toy, in the size closest to his, for the least $. In his case, a 5/6 size Spiderman shirt with a Spiderman car. The shirt hit the minivan floor the moment the Spiderman car was freed from it.
One of the Spiderman pjs shirts is a big hit. He slept with it Sat night and refused to take it off on Sunday. So he got to wear the shirt to Church on Sunday. There were tears when I told Mason we had to remove it on Sunday night for his bath, and he couldn't sleep in it. I compromised and told him I would wash it by hand so it would be clean and dry for him to wear it to school on Monday. He was ok with it and chose another Spiderman shirt to sleep in last night. I will need to take a picture for this post later, it won't be difficult, as I am sure he will be in it all the time this week.
He can almost sing the whole Spiderman theme song. He told Daddy "you are Iron Man" and he is Spiderman, and they should "fight together". They are not fighting crime together yet, just pretend fighting each other at the moment. He calls Daddy "Iron Man" now. I tried to get into the fun by making myself "Wonder Woman", but Mason was not impressed with Wonder Woman's abilities, so I am not in their super hero club yet.
Bill and I normally divide and conquer to put the kids to sleep. We give them baths, brush their teeth and get them ready for bed together, and then I take Audrey for her last bottle and Bill plays with Mason and reads him books. Audrey is easy to put down for bedtime these days. Right after she is done with the bottle, I take her to her crib and she is happy to go to sleep on her own. So, last night I went into Mason's room where he was playing with Daddy. Just as I sat down, Mason explained to me how he prefers the "two people: Daddy and him" and politely asked me to leave! Ouch! He gave me a kiss and told me he loved me, but then held my hand and open his door! "Ok, good night!"
No comments:
Post a Comment