Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years of 9/11

Memories from Bill -
10 years ago today, I was in San Jose with Cecilia. We were awakened by a frantic call from her mother (living in Brazil at the time) saying that the US was under attack.

She was unable to articulate what had happened, we just knew that we had to turn on the news. As the TV came on, all we saw was a city that was smoking. We didn't recognize it. Cecilia had gleaned that her mother said something about Washinton DC, but we still couldn't place the skyline.

Then they repeated the images of the 2 planes flying into the towers. Then the towers collapsing. Cecilia burst into tears. I was in shock as the gravity of what had happened started to sink in. As those images repeated, I got more sad and more angry. Who would do such a thing? Why would they? I understood the US was not popular, but these were thousands of innocent people. Seeing people in middle east celebrating angered me more.

We went to the store to stock up on things. People were solemn, muted. It was general shock, and anticipation of what might happen next.

I imagine hearing about Pearl Harbor was like this, but we had it in real time. It made it surreal and frighteningly, horrifingly real and the same time.

It brought us together as a country, unlike where we are today. It made things like politics and budgets inconsequential.

It is a day I will never forget. I pray for peace.

No comments: