When I purchased our Delta tickets to Atlanta, the flight was leaving at 10:55 AM. Bill and I agreed to leave around 8:30 AM, to leave us plenty of time to park at Wally Park, shuttle to the airport, check-in our bags, go through security, get to the gate and buy some food for the flight.
The night before when I checked us in online, I made the mistake to check we had special luggage items (the kids car seats). Once that was checked, I couldn't uncheck it or undo, we had to go see the agent at the gate to check our bags. Delta allows free kid luggage items like seats, diaper boxes, pack'n'plays, etc, so I knew we wouldn't have to pay for the car seats, but still need to check them with an agent.
The Wally Park shuttle dropped us off right next to the Delta curbside check in counter. We tried to check our bags there, but the agent sent us upstairs because of our "special items". We got a cart to balance our 2 big bags and 2 car seats, Audrey in the stroller and Mason on foot. The line for the luggage drop off had about 20 ppl, but I check my watched and it was still 9:30 AM, plenty of time.
The agent came up and down asking if anyone had flights before 11 AM, and I said "well, kind of, our flight is 10:55 AM", she asked "where are you going?", I responded "Atlanta", and she replied "I don't have a 10:55 AM to Atlanta, I have a 10:20 AM". She took my boarding pass and said "see, 10:20 AM". They had changed the flight time after I purchased the tickets, and I must had missed that email. Oh my, we were now less than 50 minutes from departure! She rushed us to the front of the line. The next agent took our documents and started to check our bags in, and pointed to the big red luggage and said "this one is 15 lbs over weight".
Are you kidding me?!?! I was not going to pay $90 for an overweight bag! I promptly opened both bags, since the other one was under 50 lbs and started shifting stuff around. She reweighted the bag and said "ok". Bill thinks it was still overweight, but close enough because she didn't want me to open my bags again and took pity on me trying to keep two little kids in the tight check in counter area.
We went straight to the security area, where they opened and checked the milk, yogurt and medicine bottles I had for the kids. And straight from there to the gate. I stopped to change Audrey one more time before we took off. By the time we got to the gate, they were calling our zone. No time to get food. The kids didn't notice the difference and happily snacked on cookies and crackers for lunch. Audrey, whose diaper was mostly dry when I changed her right before the flight, pooped during take off. The girl has perfect timing.
If I had known we were late, I would have been freaking out the whole time to the airport. But I didn't even know we were late and everything worked out just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment